TSE is proud to be the music booking agency for Baytown, Texas. In that role TSE books several festivals and concert series for this dynamic city of approximately 80,000 people. Baytown is part of the Houston Texas metropolitan area and its free concerts and festivals attract people throughout that area.
One of these festivals is the annual July 3rd and 4th concerts that celebrate our nation’s independence TSE Entertainment has been the music booking agency for this “Freedom” festival for approximately 25 years. Typically, the July 3rd concert portion of the festival is reserved for pop and classic rock music while the 4th of July concert has a country theme.
The 2019 Festival was great in a number of ways. Let’s start with saying “The Village People.” Doesn’t their name just bring a big grin on your face? Awesome is the first word that comes to mind.
The two-day festival is held at Bicentennial Park on their open air, covered stage near Lee College in Baytown, Texas. This year’s show was very special mainly because the weather cooperated, not TOO hot. Good weather and great talent made for a great event. This year’s lineup featured acts on July 3rd included: Bag of Donuts – #1 Party Band from New Orleans; and THE VILLAGE PEOPLE which was the night’s headliner band. Yes, THE VILLAGE PEOPLE!
Thursday’s July 4th lineup was also very special With RL Bell opening the event. He is a talent extraordinaire featured on America’s Got Talent. RL was followed by country singer Joe Diffie, Grammy Winner from Nashville with multiple hits from the 90’s. The nights headliner was Beaumont, Texas native and country superstar Tracy Byrd. Tracy has many top 10 hits on the country music charts, including CMA song of the year; Keeper of the Stars.
While on stage Tracy told the story of getting discouraged after his first two Nashville releases. He called his Dad and asked him if he still thought he could get him on at Dupont Chemical where his dad worked. His Dad told him, “Son, hang in there.” Soon after this conversation came his first #1 Hit; HOLDING HEAVEN. After that many, many more hits followed.
TSE Entertainment worked with Scott Johnson and the GREAT staff of the City of Baytown’s Parks and Recreation Department as its music booking agency to secure these artists. This long-term relationship between TSE and the City of Baytown works to the advantage of both parties. Over the years, TSE has learned the nuances of working with the city and their entertainment requirements.
TSE has worked this event for over 25 years. It takes months and months of preparation for this show which includes things like room reservations, local transportation to and from the Airport(s) as necessary plus to and from their rooms. There’s also the matter of getting them all their meals in place as well as drinks, towels, snacks and other things they’ll require at the concert. All the groups are “Pros” having done this hundreds of times. TSE is on site to make sure the both the talent and our client are pleased with the event.
Music Booking: This Year’s Lineup:
- The Bag of Donuts Band: Based in New Orleans and officially known as New Orleans Official Party Band by receiving “Cover Band of the Year” honors by Offbeat magazine in 2016, 2017 and 2018. What started almost 30 years ago as a few New Orleans locals with a knack for music and little bit of face paint has since grown into a national phenomenon. Bag of Donuts promises an atypical experience that audience members of all ages and types can groove to. They will take your party or event to the NEXT LEVEL!
- The Village People: Next in line….. THE VILLAGE PEOPLE! “Macho Man,” “M.C.A.,”” In the Navy,” and “Go West.” All are Super Hits! All were performed with Victor Willis, who was a founder of the band and still does the shows with the same excitement and style. In case you young and missed their hits, the Village Peopleis an American disco group best known for their on-stage costumes, catchy tunes, and suggestive lyrics. The group quickly became a stable of the Disco era, scoring several disco and dance hits internationally. What a Blast they were for this Baytown, and Texas Crowd!
- RL Bell: RL Bell of America’s Got Talent opened the Fourth of July concert. RL has appeared on several major TV shows such as “Gimme The Mike” on CBS; “Karaoke Battle USA” on ABC; and the international TV show “America’s Got Talent!” He’s also appeared on the TV game show “Family Feud,” and has performed on the theater stage in plays and musical productions. He enjoys both acting and singing. He and his band ROCKED THE STAGE TO A GRATEFUL AUDIENCE.
- Joe Diffie: Next up was Joe Diffie. Joe is a beloved country After working as a demosinger in the 1980s, he signed with Epic Records‘ Nashville division in 1990. Between 1990 and 2004, Joe Diffie had 35 singles on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, five of which peaked at No.1 His debut release was “Home,” followed by “the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets),” “Third Rock from the Sun,” “Pickup Man,” (his longest-lasting No. 1, at four weeks) and “Bigger Than the Beatles.” In addition to these singles, he has had 12 others reach the Top 10 and ten more others reach the Top 40 on the same chart. He has also co-written singles for Holly Dunn, Tim McGraw, and Jo Dee Messina, and has recorded with Mary Chapin Carpenter, George Jones, and Marty Stuart. The audience really seemed to enjoy his music and sang along to many of his songs.
- Tracy Byrd: Closing the two-day festival was country music star, Tracy Byrd. While attending college, Tracy played with a local Beaumont, Texas band called Rimfire. While playing with the band one got him to record a cover of Hank Williams’ “Your Cheatin Heart” at a local recording studio. The owner was impressed enough to enter Tract into a local talent competition. He was signed by MCA Nashville in 1992. The rest so they say, is history. Byrd broke through on the country music scene that year with his single “Holdin’ Heaven.” It reached Number One on Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks. Although he did not land his second Number One until 2002’s “Ten Rounds with Jose Cuervo,” Byrd has charted more than thirty hit singles in his career. He has recorded eleven additional Top Ten hits and also released ten studio albums and two greatest-hits albums. His albums include four gold certifications and one double-platinum certification from the RIAA.
Tracy still lives in Texas and is one of nicest, most talented guys in the country music business He continues to thrill crowds and really brings the house down!
The 2019 Freedom Celebration Festival in Baytown, Texas was a huge success. TSE is proud to work with the Baytown Parks and Recreation Department as its music booking agency. TSE is now working on booking the music for Baytown’s Grito Fest coming up in Fall of 2019.